I suddenly realized I was thinking about Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep, in particular, Daphne, the valkyrie with pink mojo. Actually everything about Daphne is pink. Aha, I should call these pink valkyrie naan, 'cept valkyries probably don't eat naan since they are mythological goddesses of Norse mythology, they'd probably eat lefse, hmm, oh well, the whole pink part was a bit modern too so it doesn't really matter.
It's not that regular Naan isn't great, but pink naan, must be a teensy bit better or this is what Jennifer does when she gets bored and bought too many purple yams at the Asian grocery.
Anyways, these were tasty naan and healthy too (yams are a superfood or something).
Purple Yam Pink Naan
2/3 cup cooked, cooled and mashed purple yam
1/3 cup plain yogurt or milk
1 cup warm water (add a tablespoon or two if your dough is too tough to knead)
1 tsp. sugar or honey, whatever makes you silly
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4 tsp. dry active yeast
2 cups white whole wheat flour (you could sub regular whole wheat, but the color will mask the lovely purple yams less purple-y)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp. light olive oil or canola or grapeseed oil (use whatever oil you like, it won't really matter).
1. In a small bowl mix sugar and warm water. Sprinkle yeast on top and set aside for ten minutes or until frothy and bubbly.
2. In a medium bowl mix the yams, yogurt, oil and salt.
3. In a large bowl mix the flours. Add the water yeast mixture and the yam yogurt mix, knead into a soft dough, don't worry if your dough shows little flecks of purple yam, the bread will still turn out. Knead the dough for about six minutes or until it is less tacky.
5. Place dough into a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place bowl in a warm location (like the microwave) and allow to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until doubled.
6. Punch dough down and let it rest while you get the griddle ready. I have an electric griddle and griddled the breads at 375, but this bread would turn out in the oven too if you prefer (set your oven to 400 and bake each bread for three minutes, flip, then cook for two minutes more).
|It's pink, like a carebear!|
8. Eat them warm slathered with butter or with hummus or for a really colorful meal, with red lentils, mmmm.