25 March 2011

Bella's Mushroom Raviolis

I picked the first thing I saw on the menu.  "Um, I'll have the mushroom ravioli."

From Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


Allow me to set the scene, a romantic, dimly lit italian restaurant, a girl and the vampire boy she likes.  She orders the raviolis and he orders, nothing.  Vamp, remember?

I've read this book so many times, it's embarrassing, I'm like a junkie with a semi-secret stash.

Here's another picture of the raviolis, I wish I had a real camera, then again, I might not know how to use it.  Hmm, have to add that to the TO DO LIST, learn how to use real cameras and take beauteous posh pics to put on blog.

I had to steal just one, really, the picture looked better without it. 

Bella's Mushroom Ravioli

One package Buitoni Cheese Ravioli (I've tried other brands, but this kind is my favorite)
8 baby portabello mushrooms, sliced, or white or brown mushrooms, or shitakes, it doesn't really matter, they're all so tasty
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
I shallot, sliced thin
1/2 red onion, sliced super thin, I used a mandoline, but a knife works too, you'll just have to cook it longer
1/2 cup white wine
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard, only the best kind, please (just kidding, I saved almost a buck buying the store brand)
2/3 cup half and half
parsley, chopped for sprinkling on top
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1.  Cook the ravioli according to the package directions, less a couple of minutes.  The package always seems to direct you to overcook them and since they will get cooked a little bit in the mushroom sauce, well yuck, they'd turn to mush.  Set them aside once they are done.

2.  Heat the oil and butter in a large pan, once it's hot, add the sliced onions and turn the heat to medium low.  Carmelize the onions, what I mean is cook them until they are almost black around the edges, this took about 7 mins for me with my super thin onions.

3.   Add the shallots.  Cook for two minutes.  Add the sliced mushrooms, you may have to do this in batches by removing the shallot-onion mixture to make room for the mushrooms.  Cook the mushrooms until one side is golden and crusty, then flip and cook the other side.  Now add the wine (and the shallot-onion mix if you had to remove it to make room for the mushrooms).  Careful, the wine will reduce a lot if you don't keep an eye on it.

4.  Now add the dijon mustard, stir to coat everything and scrape all the little bits off of the bottom of the pan.

5.  Turn the temp to low and add the half and half.  When it starts to bubble and sputter, add the raviolis and sprinkle them with the chopped parsley.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment